Last Revised: April 9, 2023
We may change this Policy from time to time. If we make changes, we will notify you by revising the date at the top of this Policy, and in some cases, we may provide you with additional notice (such as by adding a statement to our website homepage or sending you a notification). We encourage you to review this Policy frequently to stay informed about our information practices and the choices available to you. If you do not agree with our Policy, you should not use our web sites or services.
Collection of Information
The personal information we collect about you depends on how you interact with us or use our Services. We describe below the categories of personal information we collect and the sources of this information.
1) Information You Provide to Us
We collect personal information you provide directly to us including when you ask or subscribe to receive our emails, access or use any collaboration tools, participate in any interactive features of the Services, send us an email, fill out a form, respond to a survey, comment on a blog, register for or participate in a webinar or event, apply for a job with us, interact with us on social media, or otherwise communicate with us. This information collected may include:
- Contact information: Such as name, email address, address, and phone number;
- Education information: Such as educational degrees, languages, professional memberships, qualifications, and certifications;
- Employment information: Such as business unit/division, company name, job status, job title, employment history, office location, and LinkedIn profile information;
- Government-issued identification numbers: Such as a social security number, driver’s license number, or state-issued identification number in connection with your application for employment with us or for any background checks we may need to perform;
- Multi-media information: Such as photos, videos, and audio files that contain images or voice recordings;
- Demographic information: Such information may include information about protected classifications, such as age, gender, race/ethnic origin, and nationality; and
- Other: Any other information you choose to provide.
2) Personal Information We Collect Automatically When You Interact with Us
We automatically collect personal information when you access or use the Services. The types of personal information we collect may include:
- Log Information: We may collect log information about your use of the Services, including your browser type and language, app version, access times, pages viewed, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, linked clicked, approximate geographic location, and the webpage you visited before navigating to the Services.
- Device Information: We may collect information about the mobile device you use to access our Services, which may include the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information.
- Location Information: In accordance with your device permissions, we may collect information about the precise location of your device. You may stop the collection of precise location information at any time (see below section below for details).
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We and our service providers use various technologies to collect information about your use of the Services and other websites and applications, including cookies and web beacons (or pixel tags). Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us to, among other things, improve the Services and your experience, see which areas and features of the Services are popular, and count visits. Web beacons (also known as “pixel tags” or “clear GIFs”) are electronic images that may be used on the Services or in our emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness, and determine if an email has been opened and acted upon. For more information about our use of these technologies, please refer to the below sections.
3) Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also collect personal information about you from other sources, including publicly available databases, and combine that with information we collect through the Services. For example, we may use information from LinkedIn to update information about you in our contact database.
4) Information We Derive
We may derive information or draw inferences about you based on other types of personal information we collect. For example, we may infer your location based on your IP address, or that you are interested in employment or participating in an event based on your browsing behavior on our Services.
Use of Personal Information
We use the personal information we collect from and about you for various business purposes including to:
- Maintain and improve our Services;
- Personalize and improve your experience on our Services;
- Respond to your questions, comments, and requests;
- Provide the information or services you request and send you related information;
- Send you newsletters, updates, and other communications we think will be of interest to you, including about our services, programming, and events unless you have opted out of such communications
- Enable you to access our premises to attend meetings;
- Assess job applicants and make hiring decisions;
- Monitor and analyze usage, trends, and activities related to the Services;
- Manage your account(s) and send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- Detect, investigate, and prevent security incidents and other malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity and protect the rights and property of Joseph, Terracciano & Lynam and others;
- Identify, report, and repair errors that impair the functionality of the Services;
- Comply with our legal and financial obligations; and
- Protect the health, safety, and vital interests of our personnel and others.
Information We May Disclose
We may disclose your personal information as follows or as otherwise described in this Policy:
- To our parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, partners and other companies under common control and ownership;
- With the applicable state bar association, we may disclose your name and bar number in connection with an application for CLE credit;
- With vendors, consultants, professional advisors, and other service providers that need access to your personal information to provide services to us;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, financing, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale of Joseph, Terracciano & Lynam’s assets or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of us or any third party;
- With other users of our Services if you post content to interactive areas of those Services. For example, any personal information you post in connection with an online profile, blog, or other interactive areas of the Services will be available to other users of those areas and, in some cases, may be publicly available; and
- With your consent or at your direction, including if we notify you that your personal information will be disclosed in a particular manner and you provide such personal information. We may also disclose your personal information with third parties when you intentionally direct us to do so or when you use our Services to intentionally interact with third parties.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you. Joseph, Terracciano & Lynam processes, maintains, and uses this information only in a de-identified fashion and will not attempt to re-identify such information, except as permitted by law.
Your Privacy Rights and Choices
You have certain choices with respect to your personal information, as described below.
1) Data Subject Requests
Depending on where you reside, you may have the right to: (1) know more about and access the personal information we collect, use, and disclose about you and to receive your data in a portable format, (2) delete your personal information, (3) correct inaccurate personal information, and (4) object to, or request that we restrict, certain processing. You may make these requests by calling (516) 496-0202 or emailing [email protected].
We will verify your request by asking you to provide information sufficient to confirm your identity, such as your name, email address, and information about your interactions with us. If you would like to use an authorized agent to exercise your rights, we may request evidence that you have provided such agent with power of attorney, or that the agent otherwise has valid signed authority to submit requests on your behalf, and ask that you verify your identity directly with us.
2) Opting Out of Marketing Communications
You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from us or request changes to your communication preferences by following the instructions in those communications. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
3) Location Data
When you first launch any of our web sites or mobile applications that collect precise location information, you will be asked to consent to the application’s collection of location information. If you initially consent to our collection of this information, you can subsequently stop the collection of this information at any time by changing the preferences on your mobile device. You may also stop our collection of this location information by following the standard uninstall process to remove our mobile apps from your device. If you do so, our mobile applications, or certain features thereof, may no longer function properly.
4) Mobile Push Notifications/Alerts
With your consent, we may send push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
Links to Other Websites and Third-Party Content
We store personal information for as long as necessary to carry out the purposes for which we originally collected it and for other legitimate business purposes, including to meet our legal, regulatory, or other compliance obligations.
Joseph, Terracciano & Lynam is headquartered in Syosset, NY in the United States and we have operations and vendors in the United States and some of our vendors may operate in other countries. Therefore, we and those who perform work for us may transfer your personal information to, or store or access it in, jurisdictions that may not provide levels of data protection that are equivalent to those of your home jurisdiction. While in another jurisdiction for processing, the courts, law enforcement, and national security authorities of that jurisdiction may access your personal information.
If you are in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), Switzerland, or the United Kingdom, we provide adequate protection for the transfer of personal data to countries outside of those jurisdictions by executing Standard Contractual Clauses, as authorized under EU or UK law. You are entitled to obtain a copy of the Standard Contractual Clauses we use to facilitate the transfer of personal data by contacting [email protected].
California Privacy Information
To the extent it applies to us, the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) requires us to explain some information using definitions and categories set out under the CCPA. We collect, and in the preceding 12 months, we have collected, the following categories of personal information: identifiers (such as your name, email address, or IP address), characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law (such as your age), commercial information (such as events attended), internet and electronic network activity information (such as browsing history, search history, information about your activities on our Services), geolocation data (such as your city of residence), audio, electronic, visual, and similar information (such as recordings of selected events, conferences, or meetings), and professional or employment-related information (such as job title and employment history). For more information on the precise data points we collect, please see the Collection of Personal Information section above. We collect personal information for the business and commercial purposes described in the Use of Personal Information section above.
In the preceding 12 months, we may have disclosed the following categories of personal information for business purposes to the following categories of recipients:
|Categories of Personal Information||Categories of Recipients|
|Identifiers.||Cloud service providers, marketing services providers, visitor management software providers, data analytics providers, software development providers, search firms and headhunters, recruiting software, law schools, internet service providers, data storage providers, other users of our Services if you post content to interactive areas of those Services, background check providers, legal authorities to comply with legal obligations, and state bar associations.|
|Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law.||Cloud service providers, data analytics providers, software development providers, search firms and headhunters, recruiting software, law schools, background check providers, and legal authorities to comply with legal obligations.|
|Commercial information.||Cloud service providers, marketing services providers, data analytics providers, internet service providers, data storage providers, and operating systems and platforms.|
|Internet and electronic network activity information.||Cloud service providers, marketing services providers, software development providers, data analytics providers, internet service providers, data storage providers, and operating systems and platforms.|
|Geolocation data.||Cloud service providers, marketing services providers, software development providers, data analytics providers, data storage providers, and operating systems and platforms.|
|Audio, electronic, visual, and similar information.||Cloud service providers, data analytics providers, data storage providers, and operating systems and platforms.|
|Professional or employment-related information.||Cloud service providers, marketing services providers, event management software and event service providers, data analytics providers, software development providers, search firms and headhunters, recruiting software, internet service providers, data storage providers, background check providers, and state bar associations.|
We do not use or disclose sensitive personal information for the purpose of inferring characteristics about you.
Under the CCPA, if a business sells personal information, it must allow California residents to opt out of the sale or sharing of their personal information. However, we do not “sell” or “share” and have not “sold” or “shared” personal information in the preceding 12 months for purposes of the CCPA.
State-Specific Privacy Related Disclosures
Individuals in the EEA, UK or Switzerland
If you are located in the EEA, the United Kingdom, or Switzerland, you have certain rights and protections under applicable laws regarding the processing of your personal data, and this section applies to you.
Legal Basis for Processing
When we process your personal data, we will do so in reliance on the following lawful bases:
- To perform our responsibilities under our contract with you (e.g., processing payments for and providing the products and services you requested).
- When we have a legitimate interest in processing your personal data to operate our business or protect our interests (e.g., to provide, maintain, and improve our products and services, conduct data analytics, and communicate with you).
- To comply with our legal obligations (e.g., to maintain a record of your consents and track those who have opted out of marketing communications).
- When we have your consent to do so (e.g., when you opt in to receive marketing communications from us). When consent is the legal basis for our processing your personal data, you may withdraw such consent at any time.
If you have a concern about our processing of personal data that we are unable to resolve, you may lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Authority where you reside.